Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Jamacian Chicken Salad




What you need:

5 Large Grilled Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Mayo
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
1/4 cup Yellow onion (finely dice)
1/4 cup celery or 1 stalk (petite diced)
1/2 cup "Golden Delicious" Apple or half an apple (petite dice)
1 tsp Curry Powder
Salt & Pepper

How you do it:

If the chicken needs to be grilled, season with jerk spice then grill & set aside to cool off
If already grilled, begin by tearing chicken into small pieces then set aside in a large bowl
In a separate bowl combine mayo, sour cream, onion, celery, apples and curry powder
Season with salt & pepper to taste. For a spicier salad add red peppers or more curry. For sweeter add sliced almonds and raisins. You can go where-ever you want with this one.

Why it's so good:


It can't get any easier, can it? So there are no bottles or canned goodies in this recipe but everything was in my kitchen. I had some left over chicken from a BBQ and had eaten enough of it to the point where it was going to be a treat for my dogs. When I went to the fridge I found mayo, sour cream and saw some bread then it hit me, don't toss it to the dogs, toss it into a salad. The chicken was already seasoned and cooked so I tore it apart, added my mayo and cream. I spiced it up a bit more with curry and TA-DA fast, easy lunch for me while I get some work done around the house with the baby and a great snack for the hubs when he gets home from work.

The grill marks on the chicken were smokey, the apples and celery crisp and the mayo and sour cream were cool and smooth, pile it high on rye or wheat and enjoy. The money you saved on not wasting the chicken could be better spent, like a new pair of heels. Ok, ok. I guess the car could use an oil change. Mangia Tutto!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lauren, that chicken salad recipe was absolutely amazing. I cheated and bought a pre-cooked chicken and added the spices and it turned out great too and saved me tons of time. Thanks so much for the recipe I know it will be a favorite of my family's. Everyone has asked me to make it again already!!!! Looking forward to getting some more good ones. BevS