Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Creative Corn Muffins


What you need:

1 pk of corn bread mix
1 egg
1/4 cup Apple Sauce
1/4 cup Milk
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Mix-ins:

1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Walnut Halves
-or-
1/4 Dried Blueberries
1 TBSP Sliced Almonds

How you do it:

Mix everything in a bowl until well combined
Add mix-ins
After greasing a muffin pan well, divide batter amongst the cups
Bake @ 400* for 12-18 minutes until firm and golden brown

Why it's good:


I ALWAYS have corn bread mix and never have anything to do with it. So I decided to jazz it up a bit. This is a great example of "use what you have". I had almonds, walnuts, dried blueberries and chocolate, but invent your own with raisins, other dried fruits, granola, brittle, marshmallows or whatever you can find. You can really create an array of flavors for various seasons and occasions. Swap the applesauce for mashed bananas and add walnuts and some cinnamon for a banana-nut muffin.

This can be great for kids, it has about half as much sugar as prepackaged muffin mixes. I used them to package and give as hostess or get well soon gifts. This could be great around the holiday. I happened to use my Maple Leaf Muffin Tin which would look lovely around Thanksgiving. You can see how I package them up on my other blog. Mangia Tutto!

No comments: