Friday, July 9, 2010

Have a Question or Idea, I want to hear it!


This is Papito, isn't he cute! Anyway, do you love something or wish someone would make a fancier or cheaper version of your favorite staples. Perhaps you just want an idea of something to impress dinner guests with that won't kill your wallet. Let me know! Comment your ideas, things you love, flavors you would be interested to use, anything. If you see something in a grocery store and think "WHAT could I use that for?", let me know and I'll post my answers and suggestions. Thanks and Mangia Tutto!

~ Lauren

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What potatoes are used in stews and why? Can I use a baking potato in a stew, if not what?

LaurenM said...

Great question, whoever you are.

There are two types of potato; boiling and baking and that's because there are two vastly different structures; starchy and waxy.

Starchy or baking potatoes are great baked, mashed and the only one you'd want fried because they have a high starch low moisture "meat" if you will.

Waxy or boiling potatoes have a waxy or smooth skin as opposed to the dry brittle skin of starch potatoes. They are high in sugar and moisture and low in starch. They are perfect in soups, stews, grilling and casseroles, because they tend to hold shape better that there "flaky" counterparts.

To specifically answer the question, yes I have used Russets or "baking" potatoes in stew, what you have to watch out for is if it is a long and slow recipe the starch will cook down and could thicken your liquid so burning or drying out could be a problem. I would stick with Red Potatoes or a happy median the all around Yukon Gold which is a mix breed of the two types.

Hope this helps and enjoy the stew! Mangia Tutto!
~ Lauren