Thursday, July 15, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner - Brinner?




The menu is Crispy Peppered Steak, Cheese Eggs, Garlic Toast and Potatoe-Onion Hashbrowns.

You can make these individually but I'm going to post this as one meal to maximize your time.

What you need:

Bacon
1 pound potatoes
1 small yellow onion
6 eggs
1/2 cup of cheese (I did Cheddar and Swiss)
1/4 cup Milk
2 TBSPs Olive Oil
1 TBSP Butter
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Toast (I used Texas Toast from the store)


How you do it:

Heat oven to 400*
Lay strips of bacon across a shallow baking sheet, sprinkle with ground pepper
Dice potatoes and onion into mini strips or cubes, cook over med heat in olive oil, butter, salt and pepper
Beat eggs, milk and cheese until well combined
Place bacon in oven and set timer for 14 minutes
In a skillet cook eggs until fluffy and firm
Toss potatoes around until brown multiple sides and tender, then check bacon
Place garlic toast in either the oven or toaster oven for 3 to 4 minute until brown & crisp
Remove bacon from oven once it's reached your preferred level of crisp and set on paper towel to remove excess grease

Why it's so good:

I know it sounds weird and you're saying to yourself; eggs, bacon and potatoes I get, but Garlic Toast?. The idea came to me after having an amazing cheese burger which was peppered bacon, swiss cheese, and a fried egg on garlic Texas toast served with fries. So I wanted to use those flavors but in a savory breakfast way. The onion & potatoes, the peppered bacon, the cheese and eggs and of course the garlic toast. It sounds strange but I promise it all works. The sharp bitter swiss, the salty bacon, the crispy potatoes and the buttery toast are a heavenly combo. You defiantly can serve this for breakfast too, but this with a crisp salad is probably the closest to strangely delicious I've been in a while. Make it for someone special, with Kahlua on the rocks and coffee cake or a mocha cupcake for dessert. It's a fun theme to play with. Mangia Tutto!

1 comment:

Laura Laird said...

Hi Lauren. Thank you for following my blog. I just started following yours and I can only say one thing: How could I not? Love your recipes!

Laura