Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mail Box Cookies


I mail out two kinds of cookies to family and friends:

Brownie Cookies & Shortbread Stars
These recipes make enough bite size cookies for 4- 12oz tins.

Brownie Cookies


What you need:


1 box of Brownie Mix
The ingredients listed on the box
2 cups of Flour
*Option- Chocolate Chips, Nuts, M&Ms

How you do it:

Preheat oven to 365*
Mix all ingredients together
Mixture will be very thick like cookie dough
You should be able to form nickel size balls
Space 1 inch apart on cookie sheet
Bake for 8-10 minutes
Cookies begin to form cracking lines on top

Why they're so good:

Who doesn't love brownies, but to mail cut up brownie squares is kind of a pain. I love sending something rich and chocolaty but I never know about the temperatures and worry about having a melted chocolate disaster while my goodies are mailed around the country. I use small melting white chocolate pieces to be safe and almond slices in mine.

Shortbread Stars

What you need:
1 stick of Butter (softened)
1 1/4 cup of Flour
1 cup of Sugar
1/8 tsp of flavor (I use a vanilla, butter and nut blend)

How you do it:

** this is a very stiff dough, a kitchen-aid mixer will be your best friend**
Preheat oven to 365*
Mix softened butter, flavor and sugar
Add flour slowly
On a floured surface roll out dough to about an 1/4 inch think
** or 3/16" according to my husband
Use a cookie cutter to make small shapes, like stars
** if you don't have a cookie cutter, baby food jars and shot glasses make good small circles
I spray a little PAM over the cookies so sprinkles will stick better
Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges start to brown

Why they're so good:

I love shortbread cookies, they are dry, and not too sweet. I love them with tea or coffee in the morning, and with cold milk before bed. They ship well, and are cute decorated with nuts and sprinkles.

I hope this helps you send some sweets away for the holiday. Fast, Easy and Inexpensive. PERFECT! Since my life is hectic enough.

Enjoy and Mangia Tutto!

No comments: