Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Spinach and Artichoke Pasta


What you need:

6 TBSP of Butter
1/2 cup finely minced onion
10 oz Artichoke Hearts
10 oz Spinach (frozen)
1 can Cream of Chicken
2/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup cheese (I happened to have lots of cheese in my fridge when I made this so I used 1/4 cup each of Cheddar, Provolone and Swiss.)
1 lb Pasta (linguine, rigatoni, rotini, ziti)

How you do it:

Prepare Pasta, strain and set aside
In a large sauce pan saute onions in the butter until soft and translucent
Coarsely chop artichokes and prep spinach by defrosting it then ringing excess water through a dish or cheese clothe.
Break up spinach and add it along with cream of chicken, salt, garlic, and pepper
Add cheese and combine well
Add milk to mix and mix into pasta reserving a little extra for topping

Why it's good:


Essentially it's spinach and artichoke dip but over pasta. You could probably just leave out the milk and serve this as dip with chips or bread. You ring out the spinach because the extra water adds to much bitter flavor and turns the sauce an interesting color green. I literally used deli sliced cheeses for this dish, I even garnished with a torn up piece of Swiss cheese. Use what you have. I served it with Garlic Breadsticks, but I could see this as a great side dish to Parmesan Crusted Chicken. That recipe to come.

Enjoy and Mangia Tutto!

No comments: